Re: building up sand for iris culture
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: building up sand for iris culture
  • From: SDAyres2@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:10:15 -0400 (EDT)

Interesting comments about compost.  I found that in the desert, the
organic matter  added to sandy soil will eventually go away.  I am not  sure
where it goes.  Does it burn up, fall down through the soil or does it  get used
up?  When I was creating new flower beds where there once was  Bermuda
Grass in sandy soil, I would completely dig up the Bermuda Grass and put  it in
a wheel barrow to search out the roots.   I would then fill  in the hole
with organic debris from kitchen and garden.  I would cover up  with the soil
mixed in with a bag of steer manures and shovels of  biosolids.  The irises
did great initially but after 8 years many have  slowed in blooming and
multiplying and one corner is completely bare of  blooms.  The soil is sandy once
again.  However fertilizer 3 times a  year helps keeps them blooming.

I am experimenting with adding a product that contains a broad spectrum of
beneficial mycorrhizae fungi and soil enzymes along with a high percentage
of  Humic Acids.  I mixed it in late November which may have been too  late.
 You don't fertilize when you use this stuff because the plant will
dissociate itself from the mycorrhizae fungi.  So this spring I didn't  fertilize
and I only saw one iris ( out of 2-3 dozen) bloom.  It was  Vanity.  The
lady at the nursery said that the stuff really helped her soil  under the Pecan
trees but it took a few years.  So I will continue for a  few years and
hope it helps.  If not, I may have to revigorate the soil  again with compost
and go back to regular fertilizer.

I find it interesting that compost is not high in humic acids.

Scarlett

In a message dated 6/21/2012 9:13:14 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,