Humus in sandy soil
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Humus in sandy soil
  • From: Eugene Baxley <baxleyeugene@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:28:15 -0700 (PDT)

Sandy soil with an adequate supply of humas will last for two or three years
then it will return to sand again. Not completely, but mostly. You have to
redo your iris. that are planted in sandy soil that has been supplemented by
humas, every two or three years and you have to replenish the humas at the
time you rework the iris. I have one raised iris bed I worked too much sand
into when I was filling it and it is now a sandy soil bed. There are places
where it is pure sand two feet down. I add humas in the form of rotten leaves,
also lime, ironite, 13-13-13 and alfalfa meal every time I redo a bed and I
add lime, alfalfa meal, 6-12-12 and ironite to them every year by making holes
with a bulb planter on each side of each clump of iris and then filling the
holes with the above items.
All these things will leach out of soil. This is
the experience I have had. Perhaps it works differently in other areas. It
seems that nothing is cut and dried when it comes to soil and iris.

E.
Baxley