International Seed Exchange???
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: International Seed Exchange???
  • From: Mark Lazzaro <rooboy24@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 22:50:42 +1000

G'day all,

I've had this idea in my head for a while and thought I'd put it out there
to hear what other people think.

I'm a keen Australian hybridizer, but suffer the following problems:

   - Enough space to grow out seedlings.
   - Growing only one or two rhizomes of cultivars due to space
   restrictions means planned crosses are dependant on whether the chosen
   parents flower at the same time.
   - Access to desirable cultivars produced overseas is limited to what
   local iris nurseries import and it also takes years for them to build up
   stock numbers to sell locally.
   - Purchasing desirable cultivars direct from overseas is not possible
   due to local quarantine restrictions.

The one positive I have is that I am able to import iris seed from overseas
that is clean and correctly labelled as per local quarantine restrictions.

Therefore, I was thinking could there be a site where iris
hybridizers could list all the iris they grow (name, hybridizer and year of
introduction). Other hybridizers could look at the lists and request
crosses to be made on their behalf. Again, this would depend on whether the
requested parents flowered at the same time, weather etc, but may give
hybridizers access to cultivars and bloodlines that were not available to
them otherwise.
Hybridizer receiving seed would have to make the hybridizer supplying the
seed aware of all local quarantine restrictions so no-one is doing anything
illegal.

Would be interested to hear what other hybridizers think.

Regards,
Mark