Re: International Seed Exchange???
  • Subject: Re: International Seed Exchange???
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 06:27:44 -0400

Mark, I think it's a great idea, the only problem being that I think most of the time, most breeders are up to their eyeballs trying to make crosses for their own breeding programs & don't have time/energy to make & track crosses for others.

I have often thought there could be a small business opportunity for someone in an ideal climate for blooming all kinds of irises who isn't interested in growing seedlings of their own but willing to 'custom' produce pods for others.

How much would we be be willing to pay per viable seed for a custom pod?

On the other hand, I struggle to grow the majority of the fanciest colors, patterns and forms of irises in my difficult climate & microclimate, & when I look at the healthy & vigorous, but relatively few seedlings that were produced the year of the horrible freeze in 2007 & compare them with the abundance of wretched products of a 'good' year here from "better" gene pools, maybe it's just as well I can't have what I wish for ;-)

What some folks do is travel - go to Oregon or CA during their bloom season & set pods for yourself if you can find a willing host.

Linda M