Re: International Seed Exchange???
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: International Seed Exchange???
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 06:59:49 -0400 (EDT)

For daylilies there is a number of seed auctions. A number of people just buy new varieties and set seed to sell. Sometimes these seeds will go for $40.00 for a pack of 5-10 seeds.

Keeping track of these and who they are for for a busy hybridizer is indeed a problem. Especially if you are using the variety yourself. And then there is the work of making a cross. For TB the percentage take is around 25-33%. So for a cross that just won't take, it could be a lot of work for naught.

If there was a place to auction off extra seeds, and the price was right, there could be some people with plants, who are not into hybridizing, willing to make seeds. And sell for a profit, to help pay for new varieties.

Chuck Chapman