Re: International Seed Exchange???
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: International Seed Exchange???
  • From: Mark Lazzaro <rooboy24@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 20:31:33 +1000

G'day Linda, Chuck, Robert and Bill:

Thank you all for your comments!

Just to qualify a number of points:

I was not thinking along the lines of a typical seed exchange and it may
have been a poor choice of words on my part. Seed exchanges that I know of
rely on donations of seed from hybridizers. These are usually excess to the
hybridizers needs.

I am looking for specific crosses of particulars cv's that I feel would
introduce and hopefully enhance my personal breeding program.

This would involve extra work for the hybridizers offering to perform the
cross/es, but receiving seed of a particular cross that they cannot perform
themselves would be the incentive to participate. Only those wishing to
participate will do so.

This is aimed at "backyard" hybridizers who have limited space. For
example, I regularly check out the iris catalogues from US iris nurseries.
of the 100's of iris presented for sale, my wish list stands at thirteen.
Even though there are many more I would love to own and grow, my limited
growing area means I have to limit my choices to the ones I desire the
most. The same occurs with any crosses I request for the same reasons.

The details regarding quarantine, regulations  and import/export permits
would have to be worked out between the two hybridizers involved in the
seed production. It would be in both their best interests to be sure of all
import/export regulations to prevent seed confiscation/destruction and
possible fines.

Hope this makes my idea a little clearer and would like to hear other
hybridizers thoughts, comments and suggestions.

Mark