HYB: Saving, Storing, Freezing Pollen
  • Subject: HYB: Saving, Storing, Freezing Pollen
  • From: <MryL1@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 01:32:19 -0400

Everybody has their own way of doing things.  Mine is cheap and
low-tech, just like me.  Lots of discussions in the archives of methods.

I use Q Tips to strip the pollen.  Put them in the smallest envelope I
can find and write the name on it. Envelopes are left unsealed and put in a
zip-lock bag, preferably with a little dessicant pouch - like the ones packed
with electronics and prescriptions.  I also put a cover sheet in, so I can
without opening the bag which pollens are in it.

I've had good success six months later (from fall to spring) with it stored
this way and just kept in the fridge.  Once you actually freeze it, it will
ruined if not used within, say, 20 minutes of thawing it out again.  Depends
on humidity and temperature once thawed, I would suspect.

Hope you find this useful.  Again, other methods are detailed in the

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5