HYB: breeding strategy
  • Subject: HYB: breeding strategy
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 08:50:30 -0400

Now that I have plenty of relatively modern formed once bloomers that thrive here in the iris 'vale of despair' (breeding goal #1), I'm focusing on breeding goal #2, adding to diversity of colors/patterns of hot weather/"summer"/early fall rebloomers that will thrive here.

As most of the long term members of this group know by now, to reach goal #1, I used the 'best' (i.e., those irises that thrive here and might also eventually lead to rebloom) X the 'best' formed modern irises that would cooperate. This resulted in buying a lot of irises that didn't work out (died, no pollen, didn't like the idea once I saw the iris in person, etc), and something of a shotgun contribution of genes. Modern, yes, but not necessarily award winning or really the 'best' choices.

A lot of floundering around, trying to find modern irises that combine well with the backbone of my healthy lines (mostly from Lloyd Zurbrigg & related intros - IMMORTALITY, HARVEST OF MEMORIES, VIOLET MIRACLE, some TEA LEAVES, MATRIX, TWILIGHT FANCIES, probably some others I'm forgetting, & the past few years, a lot of RENOWN, in spite of it's relatively unhealthy foliage here).

After pondering what might be the best route to follow to reach goal #2, I've decided (more or less) to try to focus on incorporating just a few of the shotgun crosses. Assuming they cooperate etc etc. For the next few years, the strategy will be to work GOLDEN PANTHER, FOGBOUND (& TREASURED), CELEBRATION SONG & SEAKIST offspring genes into rebloom. Betty already has a bunch of rebloom descendants from SILVERADO.

I think those 5 (6) can give us some great diversity of color & pattern with modern form, if we can just keep from losing it while getting back to rebloom. I would love to have been able to include DECADENCE in that list, but so far, she's just not been a good fit. Lots of color, but too much loss of form & way too much loss of vigor. Maybe a relative will work.

Also will probably try to include a few others from the shotgun seedlings if I just can't control myself (ABSOLUTE TREASURE, ROMANTIC EVENING, ABOVE THE CLOUDS, ABOUT TOWN...)

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7b
drought, heat :-(