HYB: pigment - celstar & glaciata pattern
  • Subject: HYB: pigment - celstar & glaciata pattern
  • From: Linda Mann <101l@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 07:12:08 -0400

Some good discussion going on on Facebook about the 'celstar' pattern, which is anthocyanin on the back of the falls. I wanted to put some of that in the hornet archives so I can find it again when I forget. Also, folks seem to be reading and searching the archives, or google is getting hits here. thousands each month.

Chuck Chapman says re: celstar pattern:

"Term is used with glaciata. A brief note in World of Iris. It is more dramatic with glaciata, but it is an independent factor genetically. Check your iris with anthrocyanin. Some have anthrocyanin on backs of falls, some don't."

"It appears to be an independent genetic trait, separate from plicata locus, and a recessive trait.."

"Celstar has been considered by some to be a plicata factor, but it isn't"

Betty Wilkerson's ECHO LOCATION is yellow with very dramatic anthocyanin pattern on the underside of the falls. I always think of it as the 'beautiful bud' iris.

Linda Mann
east TN