Re: Getting the Blues

Dennis-- I grow a blue that is labeled Pledge Alegiance (spelling might be
off, I don't have the label or a checklist here)
AND, for a modern, I had Triple Whammy bloom this year.  I used to grow
Sky Hooks, and it left awhile ago.  I still like it, tho.  Triple Whammy is
reminisent of it, blue on the hooked beard, some yellow blends..and tall!
It was as tall as my outstretched arm, and branching! and bud count!  Although
it rained a whole lot here, we did not get wind or it would have been knocked
down.  I did stake it.  Increases nicely -- so nicely that it will get moved
this year.
	I cleaned in the irises yesterday, removing spent bloomstalks, and
pulling out mother rhizomes that were soft and not producing.  This gives me
a chance to look up close for increases and hardiness, and for borer.  There
are a few on fans that crept back out of the main flow of iris traffic and
were being attacked by 3/4" borer.  I used my gloved hands to squeeze the
fan until I heard/felt a noticeable pop.  In one spot far away from the show
iris where i had completely neglected to spray with cygon, nearly every fan
had two borers.  I am surprised every year when I do the cleaning after
bloom -- which had to wait of course till it dried after all that you-know-what
that many rhizomes had cured themselves of rot.  That requires hot soil, I
think, which comes after several days of sun.  My rhizomes are at the top of
the soil so I can see each one.  And when I had to dig one or two up with
my fingers, I had a struggle with long, thick roots.  And the foliage is
nearly all bright bluish green, and tall. Many are going to have to go to
the sale, however.
	The Japanese are starting to bloom --- neighbors are stopping by --
had to give "the talk" to the painters -- The consensus among them is that
I need to hire a cleaning person.. Couldn't find a clean glass for water!
I'm sure that doesn't happen to anyone here!!
Carolyn Schaffner in warm, dry, dry, dry Buffalo, NY where trophys will be
given to Soccer League kids today -- the first of what is shure to be many
for my seven-year old.!!