The Japanese are beginning to come on in beautiful downtown EA

TEA CEREMONY (new for KG) bloomed yesterday and is looking very stately out
there.  Lorena Reid's SPRINGTIME MELODY has already gone by... I obviously
need MORE of these early bloomers.

My plans this weekend will include a trip to Anna Rettig's garden.  For those
who don't know Anna, she introduced her first JI's at the tender age of 73
(?) last year.  She had been given a handful of JI seeds from Japan that came
from two different lines (which she can tell you and I can't).  She planted
them in the only place that was open at the time - right over the newly dug
leach bed for her septic system!  Of course the JI's were happy as can be,
and over the years the bees and Anna have crossed and recrossed.

At last years convention two of these irises won much praise!

STELLA NIAGARA:  A 6 fall violet with a star pattern.

NIAGARA POWER:  My personal favorite and has been for years... gunmetal
lavender 3 fall with magenta pinstriping and standards!  It's a very slow
grower, but the most choice JI I grow!

Anna did not believe that her irises were anything special - she found out
differently at last years convention.

Anna is also an absolute sweetheart and it is my privilege to be her friend!

FIRST ANNUAL WNYIS JI SHOW - 7/6/96, Johnson's Nursery, Rt. 20A E. Aurora,
NY.  Also joining us will be the Ikebana Club, the Koi & Pond Club, the
Bonsai folks and (I hope) the Buffalo Japanese Society who will tell us about
their plans to restore the Japanese Garden in Mirror Lake.

A splendid time is guaranteed for all!

Kathy Guest - getting a bit off track