Re: Louisianas- Favorites? and Rebloomers?

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: Louisianas- Favorites? and Rebloomers?
  • From: Catharine Vinson <cvinson@cris.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 09:55:45 -0400 (EDT)

Tom Dillard wrote:

>You asked about favorite Louisiana Irises (LA's), so I'm going to jump in
>and list a few.  [However, as every iris enthusiast knows, every single
>iris cultivar has its strong points and weak ones!]

What a wonderful list! Thanks from a "newbie" reader of this list.

I'm in the process of reclaiming a very large "pine island" in front of my
house (I'm just north of Atlanta) and Japanese, Siberian, and Louisiana iris
(and others) are prominent in what I'm planting. It's becoming a hybrid wild
garden with native plants and dotty cottage garden. Sounds bizarre, but I
think it's coming along fairly well. I've just started ordering Louisiana
iris...the big push will come this fall. I am ignorant of names of LIs...I
grew up in Houston and they were everywhere, but I never knew names. I
bought a couple of LIs named BAYOU COMUS since I couldn't resist the
spring on rampantly spreading plants. New leaves tinged purple near the
base. Very tolerant of shade, competition, and highly acid soils."

I was intriqued that the plant's description noted that it did well in
"considerable shade." Shade for a LI? Very wet feet, heavy soil, yes, but
shade is a new possibility (if the listing was correct). I have a great deal
of high dappled shade with strong slanting western sun in late afternoon and
since it's the wettest part of the pine island, would love to let the LIs
take over. Is this realistic?

Thanks for any advice.
Catharine/Atlanta, zone 7b...or 8, depending on which reference listing you
check!