Re: Getting the Blues

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:
> So far, YAQUINA BLUE and BLENHEIM ROYAL are in 68th
> and 74th place and have entered my price range.  VICTORIA FALLS is 15th.  She
> is clearly VERY popular with AIS gardeners - of the blues, only HONKY TONK
> BLUES ranks higher.
> I guess 20% of AIS members voting means an iris is very popular.  It is
interesting that Kilt Lilt and Sky Hooks has for years been popular, but
when visiting gardens, either it is not blooming,(hardly growing) or the
gardener has thrown it out.  On the other hand, such varieties as Lady
Friend, Vanity, Stepping Out, Betty Frances, and Joyce Terry rank high,
and should since they seem to be in everyones garden.

As far as good blues, it's hard to beat Pacific Shores, Breakers, Jean
Hoffmeister, Allegiance, Pacific Mist, Hilo Shores, and Blue Aristocrat.

VF left my garden after 6 years of weak stems and falling over. As far
as introducing in commerce, I say too many are introduced anyway.  How
many of the same old yellows, blues, purples, and whites are there? I
have been a strong advocate of LESS IS BETTER.  We all want the general
public, and casual gardener to have a good plant to work with. Most,
simply are not.
Linda, if VF and others grow great in your garden, go for it! I wished
we could post pictures of our gardens for all to see. It is good to
gloat once in a while.  <;-)

Best Wishes to all,
Dennis Stoneburner   drstone@roanoke.infi.net