Re: Getting the Blues

>Its great getting all these recommendations for blue irises.  I have
>actually heard of some of them and seen pictures.  HONKY TONK BLUES
>(top of the wish list),  MARY FRANCIS,  and VICTORIA FALLS (with such
>a name can she be blamed for the occasional fall?)

6/27/96     12:17 P.M.

I cannot in good conscience recommend VICTORIA FALLS (Schreiner '77) to
anyone. Here in Maine it fell over in every iris garden bar none. 'Victoria
Falls' is, indeed, a most appropriate name. We finally tossed it out of our
garden, and many friends did the same. I was told by several people that VF
never had any problems standing up in the Pacific Northwest. During my tour
of Schreiner's Gardens in '94, I found two large clumps of VF, and all were
leaning parallel to the ground, prostrate, or staked. This is an example of
an iris that should never have been introduced, and to top things off, VF won
the Dykes Medal. One must only shake his head and wonder why. I have been
very careful not to import any of its offspring into my garden, but one got
passed me. Purchased Schreiner's SEA OF JOY ('85), and you guessed it, all
the scapes have fallen over each of the past two seasons.

I heartly recommend HONKY TONK BLUES. A great iris! MARY FRANCES is not
really a blue. I would say light orchid is a bit closer to its true color.

Ted White          Minot, Maine         USDA Zone 5      AIS Region 1