Iris Database II

At 12:41 PM 3/28/96 MST, you wrote:

>Tom Little wrote:
>
>> > Absolutely! Chris (I think) suggested this early on in the history of the
>> > list. It would be truly wonderful to have the checklist data on CD-ROM
>> > (as a true database, not just the text). ...
>

>Chris Hollinshead writes:
>
>Well, I have already developed a prototype true relational database
>based on the information in AIS iris checklists. Besides designing it I
>have entered a small amount of data into it to check the functionality and
>it is awesome, even in the prototype stage. It could truly be a powerful
>tool with more data entry....

Chris, sorry this is a few months late.  I just started going over about
1500 old postings from when my system was down & I was gone.  Anyway, I
found this thread and followed it.  By the way, this was the topic of a long
discussion a few members of the Greater St. Louis Iris Society had after
Judges Training session last March.  Chris were you at the next table over
listening?  I just had to comment ... late or not.

FYIO a fellow Canadian, Mike Homick, has put the Lilium Registry (all vols)
onto a CD using Microsoft "ACCESS" as the database.  It works great for
tracing geneology.  The only thing he left out was the photos (which I am
trying to correct).  How would your relational database differ and what
advantages/benefits would it provide over using an established database?

Excluding the database used and taking into consideration the enormous
amount of data involved, not to mention the size of each file with a photo,
I would like to make the following suggestions:

1.  Use a seperate CD for each type of iris, i.e., TB, Sib, JI, ect.
Smaller DB's could be combined on one CD until they got larger in years to come.
2.  Divide the work.  Ask for volunteers to enter the data.  Each person or
a team of persons could work on a section.  This would have to be a labor of
love!
3.  Have a project manager who would be responsible for answering questions,
coordinating the work, setting deadlines and establishing the data format.
4.  Ask the AIS to underwrite the project (a grant).  They could release the
CD's at cost or at a small profit.  The information could also be placed on
the WWW at one of the Botanical Gardens or College's for research use.
Imagine having all that data & pictures at the fingertips of a show
classification chairperson when the judges have an ID question.
5.  Ask all the related societies for donations of money and pictures.
6.  Ask the hybridizers, when applicable, to provide photos.

I have found that Delria "CommSuite" has an OCR reader that I have used to
scan material in and then manipulate it in a word processor.

Chris have you looked at the Home Page For Irises @
http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/iris/  yet.

David Payne-Joyce has done a fantastic job of charting 'Conjuration'.  The
file is 180 Kb's because it traces the geneology all the irises that went
into that final cross that produced 'Conjuration'.  He has also included
their ploid, some genetic traits, a short synopsis of the hybridizer, and
the registry description.  All the entries have embedded links (pointers).

I also like the format.  It allows me at a glance to see what the geneology
of an iris is.  I believe that this format would be the most convienent form
for a hybridizer to use.  Especially if the dominate genetic traits for each
iris was graphically displayed.
Good work David.  I believe that there is a need for both formats are needed

    Monty Byers (d. 1992) California

        Conjuration  (Byers 1989)
              Byers seedling B-37-10
                   Sky Hooks  (Osborne 1980)
                   Condottiere  (Cayeux 1978)
              Alpine Castle  (Blyth 1979)

I hope this thread is reexamined and my suggestions commented on.  Feel free
to E-Mail me with any questions Chris.  What do you think Clarence?  Do you
think the AIS Board might provide a grant?  Thanks, Craig Hughes, St. Louis,
Zone 5, chughes @ inlink.com

This is a retransmission.  The original was mailed 6/24/96 and lost is
cyberspace.