JIs

Here we have just passed the peak of JI season, and it has been a good one.
We have certainly met the cultural directive for a wet spring and moist
conditions following, and, sure enough, the JIs were happy about that.
Here, the typical plant puts up one or two stalks the season following
fall planting, although a few do none and I had one bloom out.  Second and
third year plants generally look great:  FROSTBOUND did a great show,
as did CAPRICIAN BUTTERFLY and CRYSTAL HALO.  TOKEN OF FRIENDSHIP and
DIOMEDES did well too in an area less well watered.  HEGIRA made a
generally great plant, although this year had a tendency to open
two blooms at once at the terminal.  If I had to pick one, it'd be CRYSTAL
HALO--good vigor, good flower, good habit, good garden visibility.

They are good to bring to work, since many haven't seen them before.

                                    --Jim
--
Jim Wilson, Miami Valley Iris Society, SW Ohio, USA, Zone 6a, AIS garden judge
growing TBs, medians, SIBs, JIs, & a few SPU & species.   wilsonjh@muohio.edu