Re: Iris Database II

Actually the first transmission of this message wasnt' lost in cyberspace,
it has been sitting in my 'IN' box until I got around to answering it.

For the past year I have been volunteering at the Roosevelt Library helping
them put their Collections List into a database that can be accessed from
the Web. I suspect an iris database would dwarf that effort, but I can
safely say that a list of everything at the library is not small. I think
we are up to about 50,000 records so far.

The data was input one finding aid at a time. These were about 1000 records
long. A volunteer typed each one onto a floppy disk. When the data was
input and proofread, it was added to the main database. Most of them took
about 10 hours for a good typist to finish, so the job seemed manageable.
Proofreading was a major problem, however, and there are still a lot of
typos in the data.

The general purpose of this database is simply to find information on a
given subject. There are no cross links.

Kay Cangemi
New York USDA zone 5