Re: Seed pods

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Seed pods
  • From: Lois Rose <lros@loc.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:05:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, S. Comstock wrote:

> Is it detrimental to Siberian irises to let the seed pods mature? Will it
> diminish their bloom next year? ...
> I find the seeds quite attractive and would like to leave
> them as long as possible, if it won't weaken the plants ...
I don't know the scientific answer to this, but my sibs seem to do well
and bloom profusely each year no matter how late I am removing the seed
pods.  But I do remove them, the sooner the better, as the longer I delay
the greater the chance they will open and scatter seeds.  Then you've lost
the identity of your clump, as you can never be sure when you dig and
divide that some of those fans down in there aren't seedlings.  (Seedlings
on hybrids do not reproduce true to variety, I am told.  Some species
irises will, e.g. I. Pseudacorus, but not the hybrids.  You experts out
there feel free to correct me or elaborate.)

I accidentally let a clump of DEWFUL go to seed a couple of years ago, and
this year I noticed variations in the color and form of the blooms
in the clump.  I love DEWFUL, so I am going to discard the clump and start
over with a new plant from a reliable source.  None of the discarded
rhizomes will go to our sale, as I can't be sure of their identity.

Lois Rose in central Virginia, where the Japanese Iris are fading fast.