new to irises

  I've just bought my first ever new home.  It's a small place
  with a BIG yard that had become very overgrown as no one had
  lived there for a while.  The only flowering plants I've
  discovered so far are irises.  They're planted in a very narrow
  cramped spot by the driveway but I want to make them a more
  integral part of what I hope one day will be an extensive
  perennial garden.  I decided to subscribe to this list to learn
  from others what I needed to know to accomplish this.  I live,
  by the way, southwest of Dallas, Tx.