Re: Seed pods

Sue asks

:Is it detrimental to Siberian irises to let the seed pods mature? Will it
:diminish their bloom next year? I have some large, established clumps that
:bloomed beautifully this year (but I didn't label 'em -- gorgeous slate blue,
:large flowers). I find the seeds quite attractive and would like to leave
:them as long as possible, if it won't weaken the plants. I'd like to do the
:same thing with my oriental poppies.
I wouldn't worry. In principle, of course, energy going into seed formation
does not go into vegetative growth. But I doubt you could notice the
difference. Many people grow I. foetidissima solely for its decorative

Happy irising, Tom.