Re: is it worth planting irises in florida

John, If you like bearded iris don't let anyone discourage you.  It can be
done.  I live
on an island near Charleston, S.C. with very hot summers, humidity, etc.  I
have at
least seventy-five bearded rebloomers in raised beds.  This past spring I had
I thought was a very good bloom season.  Some that were especially pleasing
Clarence Mahan's Violet Music, Suky, Betty Frances.  Rosalie Figge and
are also exceptional recent introductions that are beautiful iris and can be
on to rebloom in our region.  There are also a number of the median
which show-off as well, Little Show 0ff being one of them.  I grow in raised
beds with
almost full day sun.

As suggested Louisianas do especially well, also some species and versicolors
now available in a number of colors and varieties.  Try and check with some
of other
List members from Florida.  I was told when I moved to the Low Country it
be difficult but I accepted the challenge and am pleased with the results.  I
suggest ordering from some of our region hybridizers to see if this might
help or
coming to our fall region meeting in Spartanburg, S.C. in 0ctober where we
have a rebloomer iris show and auction.

I have just returned from a meeting where I met several ladies from Florida.
was a favorite topic.   She mentioned growing a number of natives, and all
of water iris in a pond she has.  We're going to do some sharing and
and this is what can make gardening so much fun!

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Claire Honkanen, P.0.Box 235, Isle of Palms, S.C.