Irises in Florida

My in-laws have the same problem, living in southern VA near the coast.  They
tell me that irises just don't last there.  I wonder, if someone really
wanted some irises badly, would it be possible to dig them up in the fall,
and store them in the fridge for a few months, then plant them back outside?
 Would that give them the needed "cold spell"?

Julia L.
(in northern IN where the irises are finished, boo hoo.)