Re: Associations

>I would like to "talk further" about Hollyhock to anyone who might know
>something about them. Most likely by private e-mail.  I would also like to
>know if anyone thinks BBG could be influenced to (re)expand their Iris
>collection, perhaps by relocating the present Iris garden.

Howard:  very interesting observations.  One problem with the NY metro area
is that there are no active iris clubs there!   In my opinion, if there was a
club, there would be interest, and therefore... influence to expand the iris
collection.  Brooklyn Botanic Gardens is a member...but probably that amounts
to a subscription for their library.

I checked the AIS membership roster (I'm Region 2 RVP) and notice that you're
not currently an AIS member... there ARE other members in your general
area...certainly enough to start a local chapter.  It's something to think
about anyway.  My plan is to come down to your area - maybe next year during
bloom season - and offer some kind of program to try to get you folks going.
 My other thought was to impose on a daylily person out on Long Island where
I could hold an iris sale - ANYTHING to get the juices flowing!  With so many
people living in the NY metro area and so much interest these days in
gardening... it just seems a shame that there are no organized clubs there!

As for the peony/iris relationship, I would guess that's because they share a
bloom time.  At the Royal Botanical Garden in Hamilton, Ontario there is a
spectacular display of hundreds of immaculately kept irises, ringed by
peonies.  You approach this garden on a rise and the view is phenomenal!

Aren't you glad you asked?    :-)

Kathy Guest - Buffalo area