Re: iris season

Hello All,

It has been rainy and cool here, but finally today, some sun.

Ellen G.  Do I understand correctly?  You are in Siberian season?  Mine are
just sending up stalks now and, the first, a white at my city house is not
yet open.  It's always a week or so ahead of me out at the lake.  I'm am in
the midst of Tall Bearded season and the first TBs have not yet finished
their bloom and the last are not yet begining.

TBs started about 10 days ago and for a few days everything was perfect and
then threee days of continuous rain.  Still, only one stalk broke ( but many
bent).  The two outstanding varieties so far are GYPSY WOMAN which is
blooming like its picture but with more intense and deeper coloring.  It
currently has four blooms open and, at the height of the rain, it held three
full , large blooms and never wavered.  Great substance and very strong.
The other I purchased as PAINTED PICTURES but it looks more like SYNCOPATION
so I don't know what it is for sure.  It is very beautiful liught rose
standards, wine falls with a rose edge of about 1/2 inch, beautifully
ruffled and big.  It has had several stalks full of blooms open and held up
to the rain without any problem.  Both of these had 4 branches and 10 buds.

Others I noticed:  GYPSY CARAVAN I didn't think I would like but I do,
yellow standards and brown copper falls.  TITANS GLORY is magnificent color
is so rich.  EDITH WOLFORD I also thought I wouldn't like but it is a
beautiful flower and the colors are so much nicer than the pictures.

One SpaceAger is blooming,  TWICE THRILLING.  I will reserve judgment for
awhile.  I'm just not too sure about it.

Several pinks are blooming and others Including JESSES SONG,
CONGRATULATIONS, FEMINIST.  I've decided they all are pretty in their own
way but they also all bent under the rain in thoir own way, too.

LAstly. the older iris are blooming.  I know none of their names.  One is a
wine iris (light above, dark below) which I have been growing since 1969.
My Grandfather got it in the 40s or 50s.  Some blues and bicolors.  All seem
like they must be diploids because they are short and the flowers quite
small.  Little branching, bud count about 5.

Marge's favorite that is blooming right now is pallida, pretty enough but
the scent!  We sniff it every morning and evening. A must have.

Cheers .  Scapes appearing on Sibs and Japanese.

Lee DeJongh   Rhinelander Wis  Zone 3  AHS region 2  AIS region 8

Why settle for a disaster when, with a little effort, you can create a