Re: is it worth planting irises in florida

>hey guys or gals. i was just wondering is it really worth the time
>and effort to try and grow bearded irises in florida. they seem to grow
>but hardly ever bloom. we do have cold winters but it doesnt last long.
>could that be the problem....sincerely john....

6/25/95   8:37 P.M.

Tall bearded irises perform poorly in most parts of Florida. They simply do
not get the exposure to cold winter temperatures that they need to bloom
properly. Florida's climate, being hot and steamy, would likely promote soft
rot which could also bring on their demise. I would suggest that you try
growing some Louisana irises. They usually perform well all across the south.

Ted White         Minot, Maine         USDA Zone 5       AIS Region 1