Daylily robin

> John - the "daylily-l", as you call it, is actually a daylily robin with
> approximately 200 members.  It functions very much like the iris-L, except
> that you MUST belong to the American Hemerocallis Society since they sponsor
> the group.

OK, I must be sly here... if one were to join AHS one year, then
signup for the robin, would your membership status in AHS have to
be maintained in order to stay on the robin?  :-)  I honestly
DON'T have anything against joining societies, it's just that
I cannot do it in the fashion I want to -- time to read their
publications, time to go to meetings...

> One difference that I notice is that all the big hybridizers are either ON
> the daylily robin, or making plans to get on soon; this means Kirchhoff and
> Morss, Stamiles (coming), Trimmer, Hansen, Carr, Salters, etc.

Well cool... but perhaps THEY should sponsor the group :-) in the
sense that I am far more likely to subsidize THEIR standard of living
by buying daylilies than a contribution to the AHS, though it's
noble to have an "independent body" moderating the procedings.

> we're working in.  Other projects have been the compilation of a number of
> lists:  best small daylily, eyed, large, early, late, etc.

I'd LOVE to see these lists, and to discuss particular cultivars,
forms, learn the "technical specs" better... however it does rankle
against the Internet "share" tradition to charge membership as a
requisite to participation (AOL and others notwithstanding).  It's
usually a collection that's taken, based on how much one is
willing and able to give, in the rare case of money spent on behalf
of a group.

I asked before, but archiving some of the material would be
a good introduction to the list, to see if it's worth joining
to AHS in order to get on the list.  No sense in joining if
you can't go to the meetings or enjoy the list...

Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@mpd.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b
Jill O. *Trades
Mistress O. {}