Re: Cutting back fans?

CEMahan@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 96-06-13 18:13:42 EDT, Jim wrote:
> >Gina wants to cut
> >them back to about a foot high, but says we should not do so until July or
> >August. Neither of us are certain...

> Clarence said ...but why do cut healthy foliage?

I find it interesting that when I was a child, one of the many summer
task was to cut back iris fans to 6", ALL of them.  I can never recall
many problems with her iris.  BUT, since that was back in the 50's and
early 60's, and alot of hers were oldees, me thinks that has something
to do with it.  Many modern varieties- you need to almost get on your
knees and offer daily sacrifice. (not in my garden) As I look around at
the gardens with oldees, they look great, and many have not been
seperated in years(ssss).  "Newer is not always better!"

Regards to everyone,

Dennis (resting from digging 750 rhizomes for sale Saturday) Stoneburner