Re: Cutting back fans?

Lois writes

:I have a theory that back in the 50's and 60's, even the 30's and 40's or
:any other era, they had their own "modern" varieties that simply wouldn't
:grow.  Those varieties are no longer around.  The oldies we have around
:that are so vigorous and hardy, surviving at old home sites with no care
:or separating, are still around because they proved to be the hardiest
:varieties of their generation.  The others did not survive the test of
:time.  Thirty or forty years from now, some gardeners will be growing
:hardy oldies from the 80's and 90's.  Then we will know which of today's
:"modern" varieties have withstood the test of time.

..and I think there's much truth in this speculation. I can hear iris
growers in 2026 muttering, "You know, those modern IBs just don't grow
as well as the old ones, like RARE EDITION."

:)

Happy irising, Tom.