Solarization

Hi all!

Regarding preparing iris beds, Mike Lowe wrote:

>We divide and move to
>new ground every three years. (Most of the time -- if we stay in an old
>area we solarize before resetting)

I tried solarizing last year with unsatisfactory results. I used clear
plastic (4mm, I think) anchored down. I left the plastic on for a few
weeks. I think the solarization worked fairly well, but the problem was
the plastic disintegrated from the sun exposure. I tried to pick us as
much of the pieces as I could, but the plastic would crumble into tiny
pieces as I picked it up. I now have small pieces of plastic scattered in
the various nooks and crannies all over my yard.

Suggestions, anyone? I live in Zone 5 at 5400 feet in Denver, Colorado,
where the sun's rays can be harsh.

I'm also in the process of completing preparations on my conventions beds
for the 1998 AIS convention, to be held here in Colorado. It's a long,
tedious process. I'm looking forward to receiving the guest bearded
irises. I am growing guest beardless irises already. Since MASS Medley
took place recently, I'll mention that I wish I could have attended as
I've flipped over Siberians and want to eventually fill my yard with
them. Surprisingly, several of the guest sibs and one of the cal-sibes
bloomed for me this year--first year plants! Also, today one of Pete
DeSantis' Louisiana iris seedlings opened. A Louisiana iris in Colorado!
Imagine! :-)

Thanks to everyone who posted their Sib favorites. I've kept all your

Lynda D. Love
(Rxiris@aol.com)
Zone 5, Region 20 AIS, Convention host, 1998 AIS National Convention