Re: help - rotten pod stalks

Linda: I have had some measure of success using the following procedure to
save pods that have been accidently broken off or from stalks that have
suffered the same fate as you described.

Take an average sized yogurt cup and fill about 90% full of water., Add one
teaspoonful of sugar and stir until dissolved. Cover the cup with a double
layer of aluminum foil and with a sharp knife cut an "X" in the center and
insert the seed pod so that the stem extends into the solution. If the seed
pod is at least half way to harvest you should have fairly good luck.
 Earlier than that and I fear your luck is in the hands of the gods.

Another method that I have tried with much less success is to take the seed
pod (hopefully with a long stem attached) and place the stem into a small
hole drilled into a raw potato. Place the potato on the window sill and pray.

The rationale is that both supply sugars that the seeds need to ripen, the
former in the refined form and the latter in the unconverted starch form.
Given my druthers, I would use the sugar solution exclusively. I would say
that I have had at least 75-80% success using this procedure.

Regards Dave Silverberg