Re: no bloom

>Its a fragrant, blue iris - no ruffles, nothing fancy.  I wasn't there this
>year to see the single flower stalk open so I don't have any other details.
>Each year, out of about 20 clumps, one or two produce a single stalk.  Those
>that do live in part sun.
>
>Should I try more fertilizer?  Or, are there some irises out there that don't
>perform?  I'm ready to give up and just enjoy the foliage -- especially now
>that I've read about the exciting hybrids growing in your gardens!!
>
>Linda C.  Philadelphia, PA

Linda,

I hate to be discouraging and I DO grow a few old, old iris for
sentimentality's sake.  Yes, mine have no rot problems either.  But,
compared to the modern hybrids, Tallbeardeds and medians and, to some
extent, the Dwarfs, the buds and branching are not there for me. and the
blooms don't last, etc.  I'm making it sound worse than it is, and there are
those who love old (historic) irises. but,  my advice would be to dig most
of the clumps up and discard them.  There are lots of beautiful iris
available for only a few dollars and you can start slowly with a few
rhizomes..   I would guess that once you see them bloom, you will want more.
As far as WHY yours are not blooming someone else probably has better
thoughts than I ,  I haven't really experiemced that.

Lee DeJongh in Rhinelander, WI