no bloom

Linda writes

:Should I try more fertilizer?  Or, are there some irises out there that don't
:perform?  I'm ready to give up and just enjoy the foliage -- especially now
:that I've read about the exciting hybrids growing in your gardens!!

I'd bet that you've been feeding it with a nitrogen fertilizer. You know,
the usual stuff for lawns, etc. I've got a lot of the old common blue (I
love all iris and have enough land not to worry). It's one of my most
faithful. If you baby ol' blue, you'll get great foliage...but no bloom. I
use a 0-20-20 that I buy at the feedstore on all my bulbs (not just iris).
My dirt is a sandy loam poverty soil, acid (wild blueberries are
everywhere). Deep shade will also prevent bloom.

P.S. If anyone has iris that they want to get get rid of (as one listmember
recommends), send them my way. I'll gladly pay postage!

Beth Matney (bmatney@is.alltel.com)
central Arkansas USDA zone 7b