Irises in Vases

Sally Guye writes:
>Can anyone give a little advice on prolonging the life of the flower
>in water?  I find when I can bear to pick one,  it curls up and dies
>almost immediately. Any suggestions most welcome

Don't know if all of these are "sure-shot" methods, but will share what I've
heard!

1)  Cut stem underwater at 45 degree angle.  Cutting under water supposedly
keeps       an air bubble from forming at the cut that would prevent the stem
from takin up
      water.
2)  Use sugar in water.  I've heard that using one teaspoon of sugar in a pint
of water
     provides continued nutrition for flowers and extends their bloom.  Have
also      heard of using diet 7-up or sprite.  Guess you could use any
softdrink, but those
     two are clear.
3) There are several brands of "cut-flower extender" packs sold in florist
shops.       Haven't really stopped to see what's in them.

     Hope this helps.

Bill Smoot          73210.1725@compuserve.com