Re: no bloom

Sounds like you might have I. pallida, the old tall blue very fragrant early
blooming iris of nearly every old home site around here.  I have a lot of it
in clumps here and there and it rarely blooms for me either.  I am in a frost
pocket, and that prevents bud stalks even thinking about showing themselves 3
yrs out of 5.  I have lived here and watched these iris for about 25 yrs and
have seen them loaded with blooms maybe 3 times, although they bloom
profusely in better locations.  It's those March killer freezes after the
foliage has started to grow.....I used to cover my iris with plant bed covers
every time we had a 22o freeze until I got tired of it - works great.

It does seem to thrive in full sun and clay soil.   And my impression is that
unlike the modern hybrids, it doesn't like being moved around - takes a year
or more to recover and bloom again.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com e TN USA