Re: SIBS - an observation

>Don't want to generalize without
>supporting facts, but I'm kinda wondering if it could be the unusually cold
>weather that we experienced this winter that triggered good bloom in McEwen
>introductions.  I've also noticed that Currier's introductions do not take
>heat very well.   Can anybody else support this "generalization"?

Many of Currier's introductions are tetraploids, as you know...and neither
the tet Siberians nor the tet Japanese are as vigorous for me as the diploids
in these classes of irises. As a result I am for the present partial to
diploids...(of course I usually find them more graceful also).  BUTTER AND
SUGAR did fairly well for me for a couple of years, but then became a poorer
grower and increaser...but is still lovely in a "smaller" clump...but I
stopped growing it a couple of years ago. Your "cold winter" thesis is
logical. Many Siberians will not do well if the winter is not cold...and the
ones that do best in Maine have to take lots of cold.  Clarence Mahan in VA