no bloom

Thanks to everyone for all I have learned so far!  I'm a novice and have been
lurking- hoping to discover why a certain TB won't bloom.  It came with the
property (my in-law's vacation cottage) and could be very old stock -- the
former owners were elderly.

Five years ago, I divided the (very large) clump and, planted fans throughout
the property hoping to find a spot where it would flourish.  From full sun to
part shade, from very rich soil,improved with composted manure, to rather sandy
beds, the fans are everywhere!  I must add that the foliage is lush and
vigorous. No rot problems. A few plants - those in sandy soil and full sun get
brown tips -- I assume its too dry for them.  A blue siberian and a yellow and
brown bearded living in the same garden bloom beautifully.

Its a fragrant, blue iris - no ruffles, nothing fancy.  I wasn't there this
year to see the single flower stalk open so I don't have any other details.
Each year, out of about 20 clumps, one or two produce a single stalk.  Those
that do live in part sun.

Should I try more fertilizer?  Or, are there some irises out there that don't
perform?  I'm ready to give up and just enjoy the foliage -- especially now
that I've read about the exciting hybrids growing in your gardens!!

Linda C.  Philadelphia, PA