Re: New Iris Bed

>Patty asks
>:I will be tilling a new iris bed for TBs that I will be receiving in July.
>:Since I am new to the iris, I would like to know if tilling in WELL
>:composted horse manure from our local barn would be beneficial or will it
>:too rich?  I will also be adding well screened compost.

My two cents - TBs seem to be the most sensitive to organic soil.  I am not
very comfortable saying what will or won't work in someone else's garden.  I
saw some older iris planted on a steep clay bank heavily mulched (3-4 inches
thick) with mushroom compost, not directly on the rhizome, that look terrific
and are growing like crazy.  I have planted directly in 1 yr old uncomposted
horse manure that had been piled about 1/12 ft deep when fresh just as an
experiment - about half of what I planted didn't like it, the other half
didn't seem to mind.  I have never met a gardener who didn't ignore the
'rules' - so if you like to experiment, try it.  If you want to be sure your
TBs will have the best chance at good health, stay away from manure.  What
they do seem to like is very deep cultivation - best iris I ever had were in
loose fill dirt about 4 ft deep.

Linda Mann east Tennessee usa lmann76543@aol.com