Re: bone meal, rot

>in my soil, the addition of bone meal produces
>rot in bearded irises as well,

Any ideas why?

Phosphorus is supposed to be good for roots, but thinking of Donald's earlier
post about mycorhizae...One of the benefits of mycorhizal root fungi is an
enhancement of the plant's ability to extract phosphorus from soil.  Studies
of other kinds of plants (I haven't turned up anything on iris yet) have
shown that if plants have plenty of nutrients available, like when we add
fertilizer, their roots often will NOT be colonized with mycorhizae.  So if
Donald's hypothesis is right, maybe with extra bone meal, you get less
mycorizae, and that leaves the roots more vulnerable to attack from other
kinds of fungi and maybe bacteria.  ????

Are there different kinds of bonemeal?  Seems like there is some with
nitrogen and some without.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east Tn usa