SIBS - an observation

In a couple of e-mail messages some members noted:

 Dennis Stoneburner wrote:
> I don't understand how Butter and Sugar lands high on the SIS Ballot
> each year. Does anybody have good stories to tell, not hear-say?

Ellen Gallagher on BUTTER AND SUGAR:
>Enter '96 and it just took off - wonderful clump - tons (literally) of
buds.....
>	I will report more when B & S's buds bloom....the real test!

    Until this year I shared Dennis's opinion of BUTTER & SUGAR,  but this year
it was not a "sleeper" in my garden.  Neither was FOREFOLD WHITE, HARPSWELL HAZE
or several other Currier McEwen introductions.

     Hate to say it, but I've had better success with non-McEwen introductions
in my area (zone 8A) in the past - until this year.  All of his stuff really
took off and bloomed well this year.  Don't want to generalize without
supporting facts, but I'm kinda wondering if it could be the unusually cold
weather that we experienced this winter that triggered good bloom in McEwen
introductions.  I've also noticed that Currier's introductions do not take the
heat very well.   Can anybody else support this "generalization"?

Bill Smoot - finally home and building character!  I keep telling myself that
pulling
      weeds builds character.  So, I'm "building character" like crazy.