Re: alfalfa pellets

There should be no major problem about how to apply alfalfa pellets/meal!!
Every time we transplant the standard rule is to revitalize the soil, and how
do we do this?? We rework the soil either turning it with a garden
fork/spade/tiller/etc., etc.  All that needs to be done is to drop the
pellets/meal onto the area and dig/till it in. Replant and water. Intimate
contact of the meal/pellets with the roots will not be harmful because the
alfalfa will not burn as will commercial fertilizer. Hope this allays some of
the fears our newcomers may have and answers their questions.
Here in Oregon last year when we replanted (prior to Nancy's cancer
diagnosis) we put down 10-20-20, mushroom compost, and alfalfa pellets in
450' rows.  This was then tilled under with the 25 hp tractor. The moisture
in the mushroom compost and the soil was sufficient to cause the pellets to
expand and break apart.  We do have plenty of "critters" on our 5 acres and
native deer, none of which are even aware of the alfalfa.

Regards, Dave Silverberg