Re: New Iris Bed

Patty asks

:I will be tilling a new iris bed for TBs that I will be receiving in July.
:Since I am new to the iris, I would like to know if tilling in WELL
:composted horse manure from our local barn would be beneficial or will it be
:too rich?  I will also be adding well screened compost.

There is some concern about organic matter promoting rot, especially if
it is used in a high concentration, near the surface. Here in New Mexico,
the soil really needs the organic matter to break it up, and our humidity
is low, so I always apply well-composted manure or other compost when
preparing a new bed. My advice is YES, do it, but make sure the stuff is
OLD and work it in deeply. Since irises tend to like soil that's a bit
dry near the surface, the organic matter is not as crucial for them as
for many garden plants.

Happy irising, Tom.