Iris-L web site and administrivia

Hi folks!

Just a few tidbits of information about Iris-L.

1. I hope everyone with web access is familiar with the Iris-L
information posted on my gardening page at

There is a copy of the welcome message there ("About Iris-L")
with all the instructions and policies for the list, as well
as Jim Wilson's FAQ, the bios compiled by Kathy Guest, info on
iris societies, irises on the internet, and a file explaining
iris lingo (I'm currently in the process of *illustrating* this
file, so drop in from time to time to check it out). Furthermore,
the web page provides access to the archives of all the messages
posted to Iris-L since it was started in February. The archives
are a great resource of information. (There are a lot of messages
about alfalfa in the archives, for example.)

I had been posting these information files to the list weekly,
but I think there are enough people with web access now that
this is no longer necessary. If you don't have web access, I can
still email you any of these INFO files.

2. If you want to unsubscribe, please check the instructions in
your welcome message (or the "About Iris-L" file on the web).
I am happy to help you unsubscribe if you have problems getting
the listserver to accept the command, but please try the listserver
first. There are so many subscribers on the list that it is essential
for commands to be processed by the listserver, if at all possible.

In a similar vein, if you invite friends to subscribe to Iris-L,
please give them the subscription instructions so they can subscribe
themselves by using the listserver; you can also give them my address
as a backup contact in case they have trouble.

3. If your email address is changing, you can notify the
listserver of the change using the ADDRESS command (see your
welcome message), provided you have an "overlap" period where both
addresses are active. Otherwise, simply unsubscribing and then
subscribing again from the new address works fine. If your email
account expires, PLEASE unsubscribe before it runs out. You will
not be "disconnected" automatically. Instead, the listserver sends
me an error message every time a message is posted to Iris-L,
telling me that it could not reach you. This goes on forever...
or until I decide you're gone for good and remove you from the
list by hand.

4. There is a technical problem that sometimes occurs and keeps
people from posting to the list or issuing commands to the
listserver. This happens when your internet service provider
inserts a "hostname" into your email address as your message
goes out. In other words, your email address may be jake@bogus.com,
but your messages go out as though they came from
jake@host1.bogus.com, jake@host2.bogus.com, etc., depending on
which host computer happened to process your message. This confuses
the listserver, because it expects your messages to all have
exactly the same return address as the your subscription request
had. Sometimes this problem can be fixed by setting the "reply to"
address in your email software; other times you may need to pester
your internet service provide to solve the problem.

5. I've been scanning some more iris pictures for my web page,
which will be updated and expanded some time soon, with a little luck.
Stay tuned!

6. A big thank-you to everyone--we've been staying pretty much on
topic lately, and most of the subject lines even make sense! You're
all to be commended for helping to make this discussion group so
informative and friendly. Keep up the good work!

Happy irising, Tom.