MASS medley report.......

	I am just going to forward this to the list and hope others that
	were not as bummed-out after Sunday's luncheon can fill in the gaps.
	A lovely versicolor (rosy? or lt. red-violet) took best of the bench
	entries.....my favorite.

	 I was completely awed by some of the gardens and the Siberians were
	out of this world....Anna Mae Miller's DANCING SHADOWS was superb in
	the Schafer/Sacks garden...my scribbled notes just say `dark blue',
	I'm sorry to say.....but it impressed me enough that I ranked it
	second in all the hundreds I saw this week-end! Large flowers and
	a medium height (which I like) and very graceful.

	My two favorite garden plants were not Siberians -  I. versicolor
	`Mint Fresh' which I saw in the Smiths'garden was fabulous! Flowering
	was perfect and it resembled the Best of Show winner - a rosy, won-
	derful color - blooms galore.

	Also, I. sanguinea `Kamayama' from Japan was in all the gardens (I
	think) and was very tall and stood like a beacon with its dark purple
	wonderful flowers - gorgeous.

	 SILBERKANTE (Tamberg) was my #1 choice of garden plants....a stunning
	Tet. with wide, dark blue, ruffled flowers with a strong white edge
	around the falls with bluish-green leaves...it shows its ancestry of
	CAMBRIDGE, DEAR DIANNE (blues) and LIMEHEART (white).....

	I took my first judge's training (as a student) in show-bench species
	and garden Siberians (with Hal Stahly - terrific guy with a wonderful
	Siberian seedling #92-37 that Kathy Guest described perfectly...I al-
	most fell into the brook (a little river?) at the Smiths trying to
	get a good photo....

	I must say I am thrilled that the Siberian Section and the SIGNA
	people had a joint convention - not only because I have tons of seeds
	from SIGNA in my freezer, now - and not only because I was successful
	in bidding on `Suslik', a wonderful SPEC I. pumila  which was grown
	from seeds collected in Russia by Dr. Rodienko and is now in my garden
	looking very spry! - but because I was exposed to information and
	conversation about species that I didn't have before and that is
	what I went to the MASS Medley.

	Dave Silverberg's Siberian IN HER GLORY looked glorious in the
	Schafer/Sacks garden and so did Clarence Mahan's Siberian, RUFFLES!

	Also, Carol Warner was very much in evidence this week-end in MASS
	and Clarence was registered but I don't think he was in St. Louis...

	I can attest to Kathryn Mohr being a patient person - she lived with
	me all week-end!

	Sunburnt but happy,

	Ellen Gallagher   e_galla@moose.ncia.net