Re: "Liking" Siberians

In a message dated 96-06-14 00:54:23 EDT, Chris writes:

>These are some of the exact reasons that I "like those Siberians".
>Okay, okay, okay,... I LOVE those Siberians!!!!! I strongly endorse the
>above comments!!!! ;>
>--

Well folks, for those who have not be fortunate enought to get to the MASS
Medly - or to otherwise get advance peeks at the new siberians... GET
READY!!!

I thought I 'knew' siberians.  I thought I grew a broad palette... I thought
I had seen the length and breath of siberian breeding (not to say I don't
love every petal...but in a familiar way...like you love your brother)  but
these new siberians are TO DIE FOR!!!

The very first day I arrived at MASS... I sat next to a table holding
seedlings for a show.  Now.. my objective was lunch, but the eyes wandered to
the table - and soon we were pounding club sandwiches so we could REALLY look
at the sibs!  The ruffling is incredible... the colors are unthinkable... the
forms are outstanding!  We were particularly taken with a good yellow amoena,
a fabulous violet near amoena, an incredible pink with a cranberry rim on the
falls, and some mottled smokey patterns.  Most of the above (but not all) are
Shafer/Sacks seedlings and are absolutely fantastic!

Over the course of the weekend we saw many more that inspired the
imagination... from Bauer/Coble a magenta with electric blue at the
signal.... from Hal Stahly, a delicious wine shot with blue down each fall,
on each style arm and up each standard!  From Tamberg/Niswonger a Cal-Sibe of
the bluest blue with a spark pattern shot with black lines on the falls.
 From Bob Hollingworth a frothy blue ruffled sequel to Strawberry Fair called
Blueberry Fair. I'm writing from memory, so I don't have my seedling numbers
handy - but HOLD ON FOLKS... it's going to be an exciting siberian future!!!!

The convention was seamless... the ISM folks obviously have the convention
thing down to a well-oiled machine.  The gardens were just past peak... which
basically means that we saw more siberians than species... a very small
disappointment given the quality of the plant material we DID see!

The Geek folk were well represented... Ellen Gallagher was scooting around
like she had wings... Dorothy Fingerhood judged the show... Mike Lowe of
course... Linda Ridlon - a new geek - was fun to meet.... Jim Wilson and
Larry Douchette wore their badges proudly  and there were so many more who
SHOULD have had pins, but didn't because I can't seem to remember to do them
unless I'm actually ASKED!!  So please - anyone who needs a pin and would
like it mailed, please let me know... and I would appreciate postage
replacement, only.  These are just computer generated, laminated pins with
your name and e-mail address... and a pinback attached.  Low-tech, but it
works OK.

As for friendly iris folks... they were all there.  I teased Keith Keppel
about coming on line ... but I don't think it's going to happen.  Tom Abrego
and Ellen were there enjoying iris with no work attached... Tom Tamberg came
all the way from Germany and is a perfectly charming individual... Anna Mae
Miller tells me she's online with the address of IRISQUILT@aol.com... but
she's having some kind of problem (maybe someone would like to get in touch
with her who could help).  Currier McEwen and Elisabeth were there and
Currier held court signing his new Siberian book (GET A COPY NOW!) for hours
on end.  Currier is universally loved and is certainly the national treasure
of our organization.

The gardens were fabulous... there is so much rock around that gardeners
incorporate it into the garden structure... at Shafer/Sacks, this takes the
form of various 'rooms' and vistas... with a great focal point consisting of
a great spill of enormous boulders with water trickling from rock to rock...
in the Fulton Garden, there were hollowed out rocks holding water and rock
lining paths through lush woodland.... at the Marble garden, there was the
rock of rocks!  A virtual Rock of Gibralter!  An enormous MOUNTAIN of a rock
that held everyone's attention.  Someone referred to it as glacial errata or
something close to that.  Dorothy Stahley spent considerable time trying to
figure out how she could climb to the top... or at least make Hal believe she
would.  Even the rock was grand in Massachusetts.

So.... I didn't get to bring sweet Leonard's laptop - but I wanted to enter
my impressions right away while the glow remains.

One thing is very clear... Kathyguest needs more garden space

Kathy Guest, E. Aurora, NY

PS... Clarence Mahan ... you're in BIG trouble!