Re: alfalfa pellets

At 04:41 AM 6/13/96 MDT, you wrote:
>	It seems that in 1975, Dr. Stanley K Ries of Michigan State University
>established that alfalfa increased yields of certain plants.  He ...
>CarolynSchaffner in Buffalo, NY

Hi Carolyn and all others,

We have been using the alfalfa meal mixed with bone meal (personal mix of
50/50) for the last few years on our iris and other garden plants.
Question:  is there any difference in the chemical make-up between the meal
and the pellets???

We have avoided the pellets for three reasons: 1.  Discourage rabbits from
the flower beds, so the plants don't become appitizers (sp) and our cats
don't get any more advantage than they all ready have by knowing where
dinner will be served.  2.  The meal is easier to mix into the soil.  3.
Decrease ROT!!  Ken Kramer at Amberway Gardens, our local Rebloomer
grower/supplier, found that pellets on/touching the rizomes tended to
encourage rot at least in his beds.

Craig Hughes - a lurker on this LISTSERV
St. Louis where the JI Convention is going strong this weekend!