Re: alfalfa pellets

Craig !! Hello -- don't lurk so much --
	I have no idea whether you should use pellets or the other.  From
other messages, it seems you should make that decision based on the content
One person said to avoid corn (growth inhibitor) and another said avoid
molasses. Sounds good to me!!  If you have enuf on to induce rot, maybe
you are putting too much on?? or is the claim that the nutrients are
concentrated on the rhizome?  How about a good general hosing after
applying?  That might wash off the alfalfa, and break up the pellets!
If you choose pellets, that is.
	Then againk you could be really careful about burying the alfalfa,
perhaps dig a small trench around the clump, move the dirt, add the alfalfa,
replace the dirt (whoops soilllll ) and water it all.  One watering on a
hot day shouldn't create a rot problem.  Or wait for a day that threatend
rain.
	It seems to me that the alfalfa is such a good idea that some
acceptable method can be worked out.
	Within the past week I've read about using corn meal as a weed-
germination inhibitor. I will try to find that article, or make a phone
call unless someone elses on this LIST has some info on it.  I suspect
and I do not know, that the inhibitor might retard germination and growth
of seedlings, but should be all right on more mature plants.
	Comments anyone-in-the-know???
	I don't have any idea why one would avoid molasses in alfalfa --
Carolyn Schaffner in wonderfully warm and sunny Buffalo, NY