Re: What to do with these pods?

>Can the pollen travel around
>in the stalk, or is it impossible?

Not possible inside the stalk, but who knows for sure everything water, bugs,
and breezes do in the life of an iris.  I was successful in pollinating I.
pallida with various modern hybrid pollen (which, according to the World of
Iris, won't work) by putting the pollen on the top of the style crest, not
the stigma.  Ok, so, duh, it worked - I got baby plants.

However, from what little I know about plant hormones, it seems possible that
pollinating the top flower might stir them up some.  Maybe make them more
receptive to insect pollination?  Or, how about the top flower's pollen is
ripe when the bottom flowers open, making self pollination more likely....
or....

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com