Re: Cutting back fans?

In a message dated 96-06-13 18:13:42 EDT, Jim wrote:

>Gina wants to cut
>them back to about a foot high, but says we should not do so until July or
>August. Neither of us are certain...

Jim, I know I owe you a response to previous msg, but I could not resist
commenting on the subject of cutting foliage.  Unless the foliage is
diseased, or the irises are being divided, cutting it back is not in best
interest of the iris.  Although irises can take much abuse (and often do),
cutting the foliage means there is less ability of the plant to receive
nutrients and moisture.  If the foliage is diseased, cutting it back is
usually the best thing to do...but why do cut healthy foliage?  Clarence
Mahan in VA