Canadian Hemlock

Can any one on this list help my brother in Fairfax Station, VA with his
Canadian Hemlock problem -- Ginny? Chris? Lee?
Here's his text:
The problem with my canadian hemlock.  It looks almost bare of needles
except for the new growth at the end of the branches.  I sprayed with
orthene to kill any spider mites that may be there.  I am feeding with a
time release fertilizer.  Some of the new growth at the top of the tree
has turned brown (died).  What is wrong?  How do I fix it.  It is about
7' tall and planted last spring (one year ago).

Any help you can give will be passed along to him.
Carolyn Schaffner -- going to visit that tree next week.