alfalfa pellets

I'm finally motivated to quit lurking and put in my 2 cents worth.

I used alfalfa for the first time last year.  I used meal, not pellets.
Mixed a cup or so with the soil at the time of replanting.  Didn't
prevent frost heaving through our harsh winter, or help the ones that
heaved, but those that stayed put seem to be doing great.  On the advice
of Dennis and others in Region 4 I was planning to use some as a top
dressing following bloom, but then last night I found a rabbit nest smack
dab in the middle of my clump of Lacy Snowflake.  (Fortunately it is a
vigorous grower and clumper--seems to be enjoying its role as host to its
rabbit guests.)  I wonder if using alfalfa as a top dressing would
encourage more rabbits to take up residence?  The fellow who baled my hay
last weekend asked me if I was breeding rabbits.  I told him they seemed
to be managing it just fine without my help.  (Blush)  I don't really
want to do anything to encourage them further.  Oh dear.  What to do?

While I'm on the topic of wildlife, I've got a great bule heron that is
welcome to all of the catfish he wants from my pond.  Clarence should
send his heron down to me.

I had thought the herons would look great standing among some nice big
clumps of blooming pseudacorus, and was planning to plant some around the
pond and on the boggy down-stream side of the dam when I got around to it,
but
this list has saved me from making that terrible mistake.  I accidentally
let a pseudacorus go to seed in one of my beds a few years ago and I've
been struggling to regain control ever since.  I can image what they
would do in the wild.

So if I can't plant pseudacorus in my bog, what should I plant?  I can't
be sure I will be able to keep it from going to seed.  Any suggestions?

Back to lurking.  Sorry about the length of this message.  I wanted to
give you your money's worth.

Lois Rose--Just an iris lover in central Virginia.  (By which I mean I
don't hybridize; I don't know I. virginica from I. versicolor and don't
care (sorry Clarence); I don't even grow irises too well.  But I love them.)